Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 February 2010

Smashing my way through Delhi Traffic

Sunday is a day of rest for a lot of our drivers. So we are usually stuck - not unhappily for the most part but definitely stuck unless you have two drivers and we dont. This Sunday I had a lunch invitation and I knew my driver was busy and my husband and son away and so I was damned if I was going to be defeated by the system.
I made my plate of houmous and crudites, I chose a nice bottle of chilled sauvignon blanc, placed the houmous on the floor of the car and the bottle on the seat and set off.The Guard looked bemused as I confidently drove out the gate and headed up the Mandi road. That is the easy bit. The problem is negotiating the junction onto the MG road which basically entails crossing a congested two lane mad Indian highway straight across to get into the lane towards Delhi.Typical Delhi junction, highly dangerous, totally mad and very crowded even on Sunday.
I stopped and waited for the cars to build up on either side of me. This is called safety in numbers, then I crept out with them as the cars and motorbikes hurtling towards us, horns blaring and saris flying.
I got across and breathed a deep sigh of relief, looked behind me at the Gurgaon traffic zooming up and joined the flow gingerly but confidently only to find myself applying the brakes quite sharply as a biker swerved in front of me.
Note how many different directions cars/bikes are facing !!
No collision, no damage, (You do not want to be a european creating or being implicated in an accident on the roads here as mobs quickly collect ) but as I came to my stop I heard an almighty crash coming from the back seat. My lovely chilled bottle of Sauvignon blanc had found its own momentum and had flung itself off the back seat and landed fair and square in the middle of my beautiful  north african dish carrying my houmous. Dish smashed to smithereens but bottle miraculously intact so with a refound confidence I parped my horn politely and warned everyone I was on my way.
Ahhh the feeling of being in control .....

4 comments:

  1. So tell me, why did you put the bottle on the seat in the first place? :P

    Next Sunday, call me. Be glad to drive you with bottle and dish intact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK OK so I messed up !
    But I sure enjoyed my drink when I got there ! And now I have you in case of future indecision or emergency.
    Calls stopped by the way. Thanks MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knowing how "unfun" it is to buy wine here, I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlpower! I love driving in Delhi but it takes 1000% concentration and far more when you have a precious bottle of sav blanc in the back! Be careful next time eh, that stuff's bloody hard to find! Jx

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)