Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Friday 12 February 2010

India incredible, yes but also indifferent

I was going to tell you about a wonderful tiger safari but I feel the need to write about two items of news today which I just feel are an example of why I cannot fathom this country and what makes it behave this way. This is a country which has so much going for it, so much potential and yet and yet ...

"A senior railway engineer was run over by a train at old Delhi Railway station". Not clear how the accident happened and perhaps it does not matter." The body lay there for an hour and a half while two railway police forces bickered over who would lift the body. Another train was coming in and ran over the body again."

"A maid, 10 years old complained of being ill treated by her employers. She had bruises all over her body and her eyes were swollen and her hands burnt.He employers had punished her for not making the chapatis properly".

The article ended by saying "that the has been an increase in the case of ill-treatment to underage servants in the city this year" as if employing underage servants was just part of the course.

I cannot be indifferent to the suffering and the sheer callousness that is often displayed to human life. It makes me feel angry and despairing.This is a country that has had 60 years of Independence and democracy and still this...

1 comment:

  1. You are right, it's been 60 yrs for our independence and I feel we have failed miserably. I dont live in India and it's been many years , I quite frankly understand where you are coming from and totally relate to the feelings, I am embarassed as an India and feel dispair, feel there is no hope. Have The people in India have become so cold? This is demonstrated in our everyday lives too back home..political partys resorting to violence in so called 'democracy'? so many things yet remain to be changed...regrettably

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)