Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 February 2010

Dabbawallas

The Dabbawallahs of Mumbai are being studied as a business model and will be considered by students of the Harvard business school. I mentioned to you that Mumbai's float of the Dabbawallahs was one of my favourites at the Republic Day parade - well it looks as if they are quite a remarkable and noteworthy business phenomenon.
One question that concerns me is surely when you are delivering lunch to as many as 200,000 businessmen at lunch time every day arent you exponentially adding to the traffic and the chaos and the congestion and wouldnt it be simpler and more globe friendly if everyone grabbed a sandwich from their local shop around the corner, not only supporting local business but even expending a few calories in having to go and get it ?

6 comments:

  1. Maybe someone can explain to me because I don't get it ... are these lunches getting delivered TO the business ... and yet they still close down businesses (say ... the FRRO) for up to TWO hours for a lunch break?)

    Says a chick who is having a hard time getting visas renewed!

    (Great to see you - even briefly - today!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehehe....i guess that is about right! There are lots of things I dont get still ..Love MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that float, too--thanks for posting about it because I didn't know what it was called.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one has sandwiches at lunch you know. We all want lentils and Indian bread and veggies.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And they are delivered on bicycles. Even in Delhi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indians love their food like Greeks do. However the pace of change is punishing and relentless so dont think that Indian lunches will stay unaffected....when I am back visiting as a robust old woman I will be interested to see who will win this one ...MM

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)