Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Friday 2 October 2020

Jacaranda time

Our tree is the first in the valley to flower and we worry about that because of climate change. Very soon we reconcile ourselves to its outstanding beauty and forget the year long moan about brushing up its fronds and fine petals from the swimming pool. The work is more pleasant these days and indeed if you go to some select spas they deliberately throw rose petals into your bath. We don't have to throw them in, they fall in naturally and we love their colour and delicacy even if they are so very ephemeral. 


The tree itself is a delight to look at and its blossoming is my blossoming. I invite people over for lunches and brunches, to sit and admire it, and I swim under its ever changing colours watching the miner birds crawling into the trumpet like flowers and the bees buzzing out. I feel the world is opening up and it is not just me feeling this. Just on Monday I attended a book launch, the first live event since Covid - 19 and it was a joyous affair not only because it was with a darling of Brisbane audiences, Trent Dalton talking about his new Book "All the Shimmering Skies" but also because it was a chance to start conversations with strangers at a socially distanced space and to put on that new blouse that has been sitting in the cupboard for ever. Authors around Australia are feeling this spring too with a slew of them bringing out new books. Jane Harper with The Survivors, Craig Silvey with Honeybee and Richard Flanagan (Nobel Prize winner) with "The living sea of waking dreams". I love how most of the titles are nature based. 

My two adorable kookaburras Dennis and Doreen looking suitably picturesque with the tree as a backdrop.  Doreen is the one who looks as if she has had too much lunch. 



I am also marking the start of this month as the time when my beloved hubby steps down from Head of School of Public Health at UQ but stays on as a researcher and academic. He has served the School of Public Health for nearly eight years and I can hardly believe it has been so long. He has worked hard and fought many battles and was frustratingly more supportive of his staff sometimes then he was at home, always open to help and listen to any of their issues and finding answers.  He has learnt so much from his position and is now applying some of the good practices learnt with me so I really can't complain.  He steps down knowing he has done an excellent job. I am hoping that the next eight will be equally happy and challenging. There are many projects - growing roses successfully, making all the orchids bloom (nearly achieved) planting and caring for an orchard. On a more serious note conducting research and writing academic papers and publishing results. He remains the man I most admire for all his values and passion for his profession. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)