Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Monday 11 January 2021

A Masked Brisbane.

On Friday the 8th of January 2021 Brisbane was put into lockdown. The reason, a cleaner was positive for the UK variant of Covid - 19. One Case. But Queensland Health and the Premier acted immediately, locked down the City and made masks mandatory. Yesterday, possibly for the second time ever, I went out wearing my mask. Goodness I hear you ask ? Where have you been all year? The reality however is that Queensland was very successful in keeping the virus out so masks were never commonplace. Now however they are mandated in all public places. 

I headed out on a hot but overcast day. Wearing the mask is a little claustrophobic and hot and sweaty and my heart goes out to all health workers who have to wear them for hours and hours every day. Along the walk I found I tended to look down, which is not necessarily a bad thing when the ground looks like this. 
There was an eerie silence to all the walkers. No mindless prattle and the hubby would have been happy.
I did however overhear one conversation between a couple out walking with their dog. 
Man stops at map and looks at it. 
Woman turns to man and says: "Why do you have to be such a control freak?" 
Man : "Why am I a control freak when all I want to know is where I am?" 
Woman: "Why cant you just go with the flow?"
Man : "Because if you were murdered I would want to know the murder spot to tell the police!" 
hahahaha 


The world was out there. I guess we have no choice of where else to be. Families, dogs and bikers. It was busy but it felt different. There was a sense of purpose to it all. Not your Sunday stroll or an amble in the park. No, this felt like a needs- must event and had to be executed prompt- haste. 

My other thought  was how do you smile with your eyes, acknowledge the other person, or their actions? This is where my four years in India immediately came into good use. Nods of the head in various directions worked a treat as I signalled to others to go ahead, wait or stop along the path. 
Now we wait with baited breath to see whether we will be released today or kept in lockdown. 
We have been released but mask wearing is recommended. 
Dougall is on holiday with his family of hoomans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)