Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Monday 3 August 2015

Cilla

I woke up this morning to the news that Cilla Black has died. She was only 72. I know there will be tributes and commemorations from all over the world for this singer and chat show host. I want to add what she meant to me. She came from Liverpool, which was my home for 8 years, she called everyone Luv, was not a great beauty,  but was warm and funny and lovely and I have to say she provided me with some memorable Saturday evenings at home watching her show, where I would sing along to her opening and closing song which I adored. My parents were often out on a Saturday night at an official function of one sort or another and after watching my mum dress, gloves, hand- bag, jewellery to match the outfit, I would wave them good bye and be allowed that rare treat of a TV dinner. Our TV was a sizeable piece of furniture with wooden concertina doors and buttons to control the sound and brightness on the right hand side. 

The shows were just so much fun.One of the things I remember well was always wondering what she would come out wearing.  She changed many costumes throughout one show and I loved  her long legs and how well she wore them. Later, she became the hostess for Blind Date and who couldn't enjoy the screen going back to reveal squirming girls and awkward boys with the occasional love story blossoming between the contestants. She was a darling woman and my youth was part Cilla and part Tom Jones. I know he is still going strong, but I am sad to have lost her as she was such a part of my growing up. Little did I know, when watching her shows all those years ago,  I would end up living in her home town, a place full of lovely warm people just like her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)