Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 August 2015

In the words of the immortal Manuel "QUE?"

"It's all Greek to me" - is strangely enough a phrase that has the opposite meaning for me to what is intended. You see I speak Greek and it is all very clear and understandable to me.

But engage me in Cricket Speak or Tradesmen Speak and I am at a total loss for words or comprehension. This comes after ahem, yes excuse me for mentioning this, Australia losing the Ashes. My husband got so excited about it he interrupted what I was watching to immediately go to the live recording of the Cricket. Well for solidarity I watched and strained to catch those connecting words of English, the "and" and "the" which might make sense of wickets and stumps and leg over wicket and scoring centuries and sixes. I thought ducks were birds and fishing - well fishing, but apparently they are well known cricketing terms. As for trundlers and Yorkers, out spinners and rabbits all I can say is they are as perplexing as a Jaffa, which I have always eaten in the past. 



This interesting linguo parallels the equally baffling construction terminology which I am having to deal with at the moment, doing some renos (Aussie for Renovations) in the house. The Tradies as they are affectionately called here,  arrive at the house, slip off their heavy duty boots at the door and all seem so lovely and friendly. I just wish I understood what they were saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)