Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Saturday 26 February 2011

The road to revolution and home


There has been some rain in Delhi. Thunder cracks on the horizon, the sky darkens and down it comes. It was welcome, the leaves are shiny green, the grass has perked up and the atmosphere has a crispness to it. This is the result of the rain on the infamous Mandi Road- the road that leads to my home and to many others in the area. Blocked drains - year after year this happens- overflowing sewage and a smell that poisons the atmosphere with its stench. Nothing new I hear you say, well those of you who live here. This time though I witnessed this scene and I tried very hard to explain to my driver why something like this is so totally unacceptable and shocking. It is easy here to just accept it - this is how India is - but for goodness sake this is the future of the country walking through raw sewage to be educated.Time for a timely revolution arab style ...
And down the road and not so far from this when I finally reach my destination, poppies and the smell of sweet orange blossom so reminsicent of my country.A contrast that does not sit well with me.

1 comment:

  1. Having just made that journey on Sunday .... I appreciated reading this. It was the conversation in our car as well with our driver how unacceptable that all was ... just disgusting.

    We loved and enjoyed your poppies!! And your driveway so we could bike w/o training wheels! Thanks again ...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)