Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Sunday 13 September 2009

Indian Men are Hot on the catwalk


On Friday night I had my first experience of this "happening"city.
I had a VIP invitation to one of the fashion shows for the Van Heusen India Men’s Fashion week. I went with my wonderful friend Aruna, who is such a special person. We were ushered into the pre-show cocktails and we rubbed shoulders with hip young things who were also at the event, talked to some of the gorgeous models and saw and admired famous names like Rohit Bal who was wandering around in black pants and a black velvet jacket. The event was taking place at the Grand in Vasant Khunj and all camera crews and photographers were there to record the interviews, the sound bites and all the gossip.
So I waited for the show with a sense of excitement but perhaps not much expectation. Was this not going to be another example of over the top fashion items that no one wears with materials that are outrageous and where the men are frankly a little floppy and flouncy – yes I will admit some preconceptions were there already.
The creator of this show was Manoviraj Khosla. He works mainly out of Bangalore but was up in Delhi for this week. He is perhaps unlike what you expect a designer to look like. Somewhat short with receding wirygray hair he just didn’t quite seem to fit the bill. The show started, as with all things in Delhi, a little late. The first model walked out in white trousers and a white waistcoat. He had the most perfect body and his face was stunning. He was followed by many, many more, each one more impressive than the last, all sporting white or off white suits made of the most beautiful linens, silks and cottons with additions and detail to belts or chappals which complimented the clothes perfectly.
After this initial catwalk more designs were presented in brighter colours, some muted greens and greys an occasional orange and some beautiful almost tie-die effects on silk. The models were drop-dead gorgeous. I could not take my eyes off them. The outfits were stylish and modern, stuff that I could to see my boys thinking would be cool.The finale came with even bigger surprises when ex Indian cricket captain Anil Kumble walked out to the delight of the audience sporting a beautiful while suit and Dino Morea, a Bollywood star, equally stunning in a Manoviraj creation. Manoviraj himself joined the two stars to rousing applause in their final parade down the catwalk.
After-show cocktails ensued and feeling on a high I finally made my way to the exit only to be accosted by a eager young photographer, TV journalist who walked up to me and said
"Ma’am are you one of the Buyers ?"
Well I was delighted to be taken for one but had to regrettably inform him that actually I was a mere guest. Unperturbed he said he would love to hear what I thought about it all and so Camera, Action, I was being filmed telling him that I had been very impressed with the creations I had seen, and no, I was not concerned that there were no women participants there, this was after all Men’s fashion week and the men were just gorgeous !

2 comments:

  1. dont recognise any of the names but looked fun!

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a whole new world. Yes it was fun, another side of India ...
    so on I go with the ins and the outs and the roundabouts
    Lovely to have your comment and to know you are dipping in from time to time. Skype soon. Love m

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)