Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 May 2020

Do we have fear of missing out even in Rona times ?



Several weeks into lockdown we have all had time to react, ab react and settle and I am wondering how it has all been for you? For me the initial weeks were a mystery of how best to use this time at home, which I was familiar with, but clearly this was experimental too.
Families in lockdown, with partners only, or being alone? Everyone has had such a different time of it. I hear the relief in my neighbour's voice as she sends her children back to school. I sympathise with the aloneness of a single friend who doesn't even have a pet. I think about my time and can certainly draw some interesting conclusions about life in it and life beyond it. I know I have had enough of all that is on offer, 9 am yoga, 10 am exploring a museum, 11am planting your veggies online, opera in the afternoon, take out meals at home, wine tasting on your sofa, films in the evening. Everyone has been keen to carry on their business or shows online which is understandable and we have been eager to make the most of our time, whether that means taking up the violin and learning dressmaking. Is there FOMO in RONA? I was beginning to happily delete all the offers that were landing in my inbox. Others may need them but I felt these were not for me. I don't feel I need to come out with certificates, courses taken or films viewed, but rather a balanced appraisal of my life the way I want to live it, in a complex and now fragile world, where a lot of the population are battling ill health and unemployment.
My days disappear faster then ever with the simple tasks of keeping the house and garden in order, keeping in touch, exercising, reading and writing, cooking and sharing thoughts and expectations with my partner. I need very little else to keep motivated. I am tired of all the efforts made to bring everything to us. Some of it can happily wait till freer times. 
And of those, well even now I know they will be different. I have not worn my watch in weeks. Morning is when Scraggy comes squawking and that is good enough, and the kookaburras turn up at 5pm on the dot - time to stop reading and writing and think about dinner for them and us. The seasons are unperturbed and continue regardless, so all the frangipani leaves thumping on my roof mean autumn is setting in, more sweeping duties for me, and the temperatures are dropping but these days of blue skies, oh these endless skies of blue fill my heart with joy. They are life affirming and draw you out in "I dare you to join me out here" where the wind is noticeably cooler and the trees sway. 
The garden is settling down to muted greens and the bees are loving their meals on wheels, brought to them by us as we help them through this lean time. More astounding then anything else yesterday I heard a whip bird in the park closest to the house. In all my seven years or so in Australia this has never happened and this is the joy of being there in the moment. Let's call it Hear it today. HIT! Click on link to hear its extraordinary call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf9GVLuFo1Y

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)