Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Friday 13 March 2020

Coronavirus and my plans.

As we read and hear the spread of coronavirus world wide we cannot help but feel some anxiety and concern not only about our ability to manage our own lives but for the safety of family and friends especially elderly relatives and people with a chronic condition or suppressed immunity system.
Each country has responded individually. Italy shutting down, the UK still staying calm and drinking cups of tea, and Australia a mix of both, some messages encouraging life as normal, while others cancelling everything. The GrandPrix in Melbourne this weekend with fans literally waiting outside the gates, were not amused by this turn of events, and Paniyiri in Brisbane cancelled for the first time in 44 years. So there is a lot of upheaval and a lot to worry about as we steer into uncharted territory and feel a little rudderless and windblown. 
Nature, however is not a threat and being out in it is a balm and a joy. So I will continue to head out with my neighbour's mad dog Dougall where we rarely meet another soul.  I will polish the silver, long overdue, I will read more of the pile of books sitting by my bedside. My friend Catherine Nelson Pollard introduced me to the Japanese word of Tsundoku - the art of buying more books than we actually read, so all you masters of Tsundoku, and I know there are lots of you, make a start. 
I will reflect on where I am in my life and what I want from it. Keep up with the family by skype and whatsapp and savour the contact, and work remotely when I can. I will treasure companionship with my partner, competing with Sudoku,  (which is actually not Japanese but originated in Switzerland  and ended up via America back in Japan.) my husband's preferred form of engagement. 
I will write and research more and I will indulge in some slow cooking and preparing simple meals of goodness relying when I can on some garden produce.  Awful as the start of this decade has been it may end up giving us some valuable alternative ways of living our lives and that can only be a good thing. Now all we need to do is survive it all. 









1 comment:

Leave a comment :)