Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Saturday 26 January 2019

Safe to Unlock




On my desk I found this notice - A package designed to appeal to the single woman traveller in India. In my room a CCTV camera is on 24/7 showing me the corridor outside. I am in a designated wing of the Hotel. Welcome initiatives? 

I always read the papers when I am here and on each day I pick up yet another incidence of violence against children, women, transgenders and other vulnerable groups. It has been six years almost to the day when I left India on the back of the horrendous rape of the young college girl on a bus from which she subsequently died. This initiative in my hotel will appeal to the western traveller but what about the rest of the population I wonder? When will those women and children be safe as they are entitled to expect of their lives? Patriarchy still holds strong. Sons need to be brought up with a whole different view of the world and mothers and fathers can do so much in getting these attitudes changed. I would like to say I have seen improvements but the papers speak of a continuation of the violence... on what is almost a daily basis. 
In all the years I lived here, and now, I have never felt unsafe or threatened and the majority could not be more welcoming and hospitable. The sad reality though is that there are many, many more who not only feel unsafe, they often don't live to tell the tale. Safe to unlock and venture forth? Sadly not. India celebrates its many achievements today. Women in Government, women as Jet pilots. There is more work to be done so that everyone can celebrate living freely and safely in this vast and inclusive sub- continent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)