Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 September 2018

Morning Music

If you read my previous post you may be excused feeling a little sorry for me, or perhaps thanking your lucky stars your households aren't as exacting as that.  I may need to lower my standards but that is for another day. Today I am going to relate a different day to you, one which starts on the bus journey into town with a smiling happy bus driver and a lovely lady who struck up a conversation. I often talk to strangers.
In town I did a few errands but at midday headed to the magnificent Brisbane City Hall where I listened to an hour long programme of the most beautiful classical music - One of Brahms sextets in three movements was outstanding by Camerata https://camerata.net.au. This is part of the Lord Mayor's year long series of concerts which are offered free to all Brisbane Citizens on a Tuesday lunchtime with different artists performing each week. https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/parks-venues/brisbane-city-hall/whats-on-city-hall.

That was good enough but then I walked into the Queen St Mall, the main pedestrianised shopping area of the city, and heard this wonderful mix of jazz and pop and saw to my utter astonishment a group of four men, in army fatigues who are the Australian Army Band. They were performing for anyone who cared to listen - and I was one of them. As Dave the lead singer said: "If you know the words we welcome you to sing along, if you don't shut up as you will ruin it for the person sitting next to you!" (just love their no nonsense approach to life). Great songs, fabulous saxophonist. Good popular songs that everyone could relate to. Interestingly one of their more soulful songs was called "I was only 19"- the song of a young man becoming a soldier and his emotions about the enormity of war. https://genius.com/Redgum-i-was-only-19-lyrics

Yes another free concert - is this unusual? Well, this is the time of the Brisbane Festival and if anything they are even more abundant than usual. These free music events are provided here for everyone to enjoy on a regular basis. Brisbane City do a grand job for their citizens.   

Needless to say I was late getting home and cracking on with all those other jobs which wait for me at home, but diversions and distractions are the order of the day on a beautiful Brissie day ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)