Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Saturday 9 January 2016

2016

Happy New Year everyone - I took a small break from blogging to enjoy the family who came out to Australia and to see friends. We have just waved them off, put the house in order, re stocked the fridge and opened Blogger. Talking to friends and family all over the world there is a general consensus that this was a content time- Not forgetting the misery of the refugees and the war torn areas in the world it seems churlish not to be able to enjoy the warmth of family.Xmas and New Year is a stressful time. There is so much pressure to get everything done, to make sure it is perfect, to follow tradition and to exceed expectations but really at the end of the day isn't what is important the chance to sit next to a loved one and to reach over and hand hold for that brief moment when they will let you do this? I overcooked the turkey and forgot the crackers but every last morsel was eaten in the subsequent days and the crackers will be fresh and ready for the table next year.
So we have come swimmingly (literally) into the New Year and feel invigorated by the days of sunshine and the travels. More of that soon, but also in the mood  for clean ups of all that trickles into the inbox. My favourite word this week is UNSUBSCRIBE. I am in the mood to not only do the actual dusting but to dust off some of the cobwebs of last year, shake my feathers out and start afresh on something which will engage me and challenge me. Perhaps you may need to hold me to my word half way through the year as a lot is made of these commitments in the early part of the year. Talking of feathers, as I write my favourite pied butcher bird is here to say good morning and eat some morsels of chicken. 


Collectively we shall undertake a sober February - shortest month in the year I hear you all shout - but only by a day or two.We shall give all the money we raise to support Wildlife Queensland's efforts to protect the Spotted Quoll, an endangered marsupial. My niece Gaby raised money for miracles babies when she recently celebrated her 40th Birthday. More and more people are opting to give to good causes instead of being caught in this never ending consumerism trap. Individually we have achieved our ideal weights and hope to maintain them by a programme of gentle but sustained exercise, with some swimming and running. We have neighbours who are as into food as we are, so we are constantly exchanging recipes and food sites. Our next one, this Wednesday,  is roast duck in a wood fired pizza oven that Kim and Pat have decided is the best way to cook duck without having a splattered oven. Communication will be another focal point with less of Candy Crush and more of "mindless prattle" as we in the family like to call it. 

C faces a year of consolidation and change at the University for which he has plans and hopes. I will attempt more technical skills and know-how through workshops and online programmes. Maybe making more of the Blog and being more adventurous with my writing. Everything I learn means I can go back and impress the boys - no mean feat - and I can rely on myself more,rather then have a list of problems they have to address every time we meet. 

Finally, but by no means least, we will foray out in the wild, attempt to swim with mantra rays, go on the Great Bunya Drive and hike up a mountain. Those knees need to be used, er while there is useful movement left in them. I say this as over the Xmas period my left thumb quite suddenly has refused to have any grip and is often painful. Sobering let me tell you.  And so with all this in mind the blog will be the way I come to report back, share the experiences and the shames (there are bound to be a few). Happy New Adventures to you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)