Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Monday 27 July 2015

Light up the creatures of the night

I love finding aspects to this city that stand out as being different and interesting - so my story for the day is lampposts.

How many of us bother to look up and notice what they are like, what shape they are in and what light they diffuse? I suspect very few and it is not really surprising there is not often much to them until you come across some like these, dotted along Adelaide St. 

Fred Whitehouse - an artist and sculptor was commissioned to make these in 1996 and he must have had a love of nocturnal animals - so we have a flying fox, a frog, a lizard and a possum and I believe there is a snake as well but I haven't spotted it yet. They are delicate and life size bronzes which look out at the world below through the light of the lamppost- it is time for my dinner thinks the flying fox, or mine says the possum ? Shall I slither down the lamppost ,says the snake, to meet my friend the lizard, or to gobble up the frog!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)