Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 September 2014

ARIA not quite hitting those high notes

ARIA, Matt Moran's restaurants have some fantastic venues. In Sydney at the corner of Macquarie St and overlooking the Opera House, in Brisbane by the river and over looking the Story Bridge which on Sunday night was lit up in a purple haze.Picture courtesy of a friend who lives just by the bridge. She probably has it in different colours for each day of the week.

These restaurants are close to the top if not the top of lists in Australia. I have been to two, the one in Sydney and the one in Brisbane and I have to say I am stopping here.Sydney was so uninspiring I actually complained and there as here I come away with a feeling of being underwhelmed by the experience but more importantly the food.The views are great !

I love degustation menus - the choices have all been made for you including the wine matches and you can sit back and enjoy what they kitchen has to offer. Well on Sunday night at Aria Brisbane out of the four courses the two I had to struggle to finish. Believe me I love my food and would not send anything back but there was nothing to excite me on those plates. The scorched king salmon was ok but came with a medlee of vegetables and puffed rice which really did nothing for me and while the pork was delicious and the wagyu beef brisket OK, the dessert,was a strange mixture of coconut ice cream which did not taste very nice and pineapple which just didn't go together at least not on this plate.  The wines were again perfectly pleasant, if a little on the small serving, but the sommelier just did not inspire, though the staff were pleasant enough. 

I guess it felt as if they were a bit tired at the end of the week - it was a Sunday evening after all - and so you might want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but at the prices they charge can they really afford to give their customers this tired look both from the kitchen and from the floor ?  I certainly could not afford another disappointment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)