Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 June 2014

Agave attenuata

I have been walking past these enormous succulents for a while. Each time I note the flower  stem has grown even more, so this time I took my camera and captured its tumescence before it goes on the downward spiral. They extend much higher than my 153 cms and it starts with the flowers and ends up with the droopy spike. 

Looking at the plant and trying to identify it I think it is the agave attenuata - originally probably a Mexican plant. Also known as the "lions tail"- obvious innit, "the swans neck"- yup that too and "the foxtail", perhaps the least successful of the common names. It is, I am told, common as muck in Brisbane, being planted in many of of the city's flower beds. It only flowers once, and then the plant dies, but this doesnt happen before the plant reaches maturity which may be 8 to 10 years and it usually produces small new plants from side shoots. For something which is as common as muck you have to say it has presence and stature of some remark. 

1 comment:

Leave a comment :)