Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Saturday 17 April 2010

When in Delhi ....

Do like the Delliwalllahs do ....
The temperatures are sky high at the moment. A heat wave is gripping us and at 44 C it is ripping every bit of energy and moisture out of us. We look like this piece of ground from a pond nearby.

Delhiwallahs and perhaps other cities as well have found their own way of keeping cool and these systems have intrigued me ever since we arrived. They look like giant fans in a big box and they have grass lining in them which is kept wet. When the fan sends air through the wet grass the moisture translates into a noisy (to add to all the rest !) but effective cooling system. I tried to find out who invented this because it is ingeniously simple and clever. We have one installed in the house which cools communal areas which are not air-conditioned and every year the system is serviced - well new grass needs to be put in the frames for it to work efficiently. I captured the men doing the service in the garden.

I have found out they are called Nagpur desert coolers because they are very common in the central Indian city of Nagpur where the temperature is usually over 40C (104F) during summers.In Delhi the temperatures in May are closer to  40C - 45C.Some people prefer these desert coolers, not to mention that these are significantly cheaper compared to an air conditioner and more ecologically friendly. A good Indian Invention if it is that - any information gratefully received.

6 comments:

  1. I've never seen/heard these things! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to know more about these! For Dorian's birthday, we tried to find a misting fan for the outside portion of the party and my driver misunderstood what I wanted and took me to buy the Desert Cooler. Since seeing it, I wondered how effective it was--thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome all, happy to share all the strange and wonderful ( and occasionally not so wonderful ) things that happen to us in this country.Love MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grew up with these things. They are wonderful in the early summer months when it's blazing hot and dry and the water adds some humidity to the air, not so effective closer to the monsoons when it's so hot and so humid that only an airconditioner works. You'll see as you go through the season.


    Sharmishtha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sharmishtha, I have already been warned about the fact that they are not so useful in the humid weather. We shall see what happens then and what solutions we will find. Never a dull moment eh ? MM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mezze, I was searching for "Nagpur Desert Coolers" on google and came across your page. I remember my childhood days in Nagpur where temp reaches upto 45 C in summer. BAck in 1985, having a cooler would be considered as luxury and I was lucky enough to had it at my home; and because we had cooler many of my friends in the neighborhood would stay almost all day at my place!.
    The only part that I didn't like was- when there's no running water you can't use hose and instead you've to fill it from water bucket and I'd to make 20-25 trips just to fill it half !!.
    Thanks for taking me to the old-days- it was refreshing and cool like Nagpur cooler :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)