Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Thursday 5 December 2019

Laughing kookaburras

We all love a good laugh - kookaburras have an unbelievable cackle of a laugh. It brings a smile to my face every time I hear them. I love the fact that they take over a tree, have a good laugh and move on. They register their presence loudly.  Until now they have been fairly elusive, sitting on a fence or a branch in the garden but never coming to the deck. Now,(and I speculate as to the reasons - shortage of food or water, willing woman who enjoys their company and usually has a little titbit) they are coming right up and are being extra friendly. I think it is a mother and a young one. I have been known to make mistakes sexing birds so if anyone sees something I dont, please let me know. 

They are the largest kingfisher with a large head and a very large bill and have a distinct eye stripe. The sexes are often similar, with females being slightly larger and less blue. They mate for life. They share parenting responsibilities and are of course carnivorous. I think this is mum or it could be dad.


Younger one hasnt quite got his colours yet 



Now this is him or her on a challenging hair day ! 


Love its silhouette against the light on the palm. 


Here is a little recording of them laughing from you tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Op4PZzwwU

1 comment:

  1. The amount of wildlife that comes to your deck is extraordinary. A rich seam of stories for you too!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)