Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Thursday 12 September 2019

Charles Darwin National Park

So this was a Bomb Dump.This is where the Australian Army kept all its ammunition. And they have sensibly kept all the evidence in INERT form you will be pleased to hear, as a salutary reminder of the horrors of war. There was an exhibition in one of the ammunition hangers they preserved. What I love is that they have decided to turn this whole previously military area, into a National Park honouring no lesser a man than Charles Darwin after whom the city is named. So this is is the only National Park I have entered and being confronted with a Bomb. Have any of you seen one? It sends shivers up my spine as I imagine the death and destruction it leaves in its wake.
It made my sense of enjoyment double and in the dry and parched land I walked and found wonders of nature - Charles D would have been happy to be with me - and Charles G too. 




This lovely National Park is close to the city. It was and is Aboriginal land with shell middens dotted around. Its main expanse are large areas of mangrove swamp which are such important environments for sea and land life. On our way to the mangroves, cycads which have always been a source of fascination to me, showing me their many faces and aren't they just wonderful. In one photo I managed to catch three of them at different stages.  This is the two finger cycad salute. 




 This male red honey eater was darting in among the trees along with its less brightly coloured females. Excuse slight fuzziness but they are extremely flighty.


The blooms which pop out at you are so affirming of nature's ability to return time after time, deprived and dry, yet strong, beautiful and resilient. 




 Why not convert all Military Arsenals into National Parks - the world would be a happier, safer, greener place and isn't that what we are all striving for? Another Aussie Great.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)