Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Monday 29 October 2018

Captain Cook did it


He crossed the ocean, wandered on the decks of the Endeavour, tossed and turned, ate his salted meats and wrote his journals and he did it over time and with great consideration of all that was around him. No ship lag for him. 
Nancy and I did it too - a little more speedily with some consequences. In Perth we had a 15 minute yoga and meditation time to set us in the mood and spirit for our crossing.(Wish I had taken a selfie of us both stretching) The crossing was done at 38000 ft with better food and some bubbly to help us along the way, navigation was a bit more precise, and entertainment such as dear Captain Cook could not ever imagine. 
Arriving so quickly though, on the other side, has stores of surprises, not least the chilly autumnal air and the notorious jet lag that awaits. Everyone has a theory about how to avoid it or diminish it. The day is busy seeing kids, family and friends and staying awake till the last possible moment and then oblivion. Sleep so deep and wholesome it is wonderful to fall into. And then the sudden though not unexpected consciousness, like the lapping of a wave over the shoreline, advancing and inevitable. Lying there with eyes firmly shut I attempt to exercise mindfulness and achieve this admirably but perhaps in its literal sense. Read Mind - Full.  Recipes are reworked, invitation lists drawn up, Xmas gift ideas crystallise and blogs take shape word after word in total darkness. Mindful though can also take another form and I take in the warmth of my hands on my stomach and the areas on my legs that I haven't moisturised as I should have. I have been offered sleeping pills and special draughts, all designed to counter the wakefulness but I have concluded that actually jet lag offers a "down under of sorts time" literally when you have no other obligation other than being in the moment and milking it for all that it is worth. So next time you are lying there, eyes shut and frustrated, put it all to good use and create away. This blog written at 3.49 am in my head is served fresh from another night of wakefulness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)