Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 September 2017

Pambos Savvides - an old friend and colleague


I picked up the phone and rang his mobile in the hope that he would answer. 
A male voice did answer and I said loudly and hopefully Pambo ? Pambo ?
No, he said I am a relative but we have taken over the business, is there anything we can help you with.
Not this time, I said, I am ringing to find out how he is.
Every time I go to the island this is one person I contact, often because I need his help and guidance but also because he is a lovely humble man who is good at what he does, but also a caring individual.
When I was a young barrister in Cyprus he was the certifying officer the office used to certify documents. Like a notary public. He was in and out of the office a lot and was always there to help and advise.
Unusually tall for a Cypriot with curly hair, now grey, and puppy eyes he had a cubby hole for an office at the end of Ledra St. He carried a briefcase and was generally well liked by all the pen pushers and you could be sure to track him down at the District Lands Office.  His only failing was that he spoke too fast and the wordsranintooneanother. He was hard to follow sometimes. 
I got married and left the office and the island but I kept in touch with Pambos  and wherever I was in the world I knew I could ring up, explain what I needed and he would be out there sorting it out. He rarely asked for money. He married late and had twins and he was so proud of the children. They were a good reason to make sure he was paid for all the work he did. There was so much he did for which he never got paid.We would sit down with a cup of coffee and one of the best cheese pies from Noufaro and catch up.
This year when I rang I was told he was in hospital. I went to find him. Cancer of sorts but one which they thought they might treat experimentally with some new drugs.The months passed and I often picked up the phone and rang. It never answered until yesterday. I was told he was not well. I asked for them to convey my thoughts and good wishes to him all the way from Australia. I will never know if they got to him. He died at 11.45am a few hours after I called. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)