Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Monday 20 May 2013

Tea time

This blog entry is dedicated with much love to my mother in law and my husband. On many an occasion we have sat down with a good cuppa to have a great chat. And even when the moments are harder and tougher and sometimes there are no words he will say softly "Cup of tea hon ?" 

I came across this exhibition in the State Library in Queensland. I so understand its significance and how something so ordinary and so commonplace can be elevated to a balm, a connector, a signal of class, place and origin, a sheer soothing moment of communality. 






The cups each bear the names and dates of those who donated them.There are stories attached to them like the special cup that the Pope chose to drink out of when he came to Australia which the owner then called the Pope's cup. The cups of sheep farmers and ordinary folk, of grandmothers daughters and friends. Cups and saucers to clink, and follow the chatter. 

1 comment:

  1. You know, Marina. I firmly believe that I would have never fallen in love with the concept of a cuppa had I not left the United States. Tea there is (generally) just iced and sweet and black tea in a bag. It has been amazing to learn about tea in India, tea with Chinese backgrounds and Singapore's Kopi. It DOES have so many comfort elements as well as physical healing properties! Amazing stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)