Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Monday 6 May 2013

Getting acquainted with a resident ... PYTHON

This is the moment I have been fearing but this morning as I was sweeping away the leaves from the pool side this is what I came across:




I called out to my lovely neighbour and I hauled him out of his shower. He came and identified it as a carpet python, aka cocos- we think it is about 2 metres in length and it was just sunning itself by the railings. We also saw that its body bulged in the middle which might indicate it has recently eaten a rat or a small rodent. He then lent me his book on wildlife which said that these pythons were common in all Brisbane suburbs! They are non venomous but kill by constricting the prey and bites may need a tetanus shot.My thoughts go to Bill Bryson's book Down Under which warned me that Australia is host to a huge number of these challenging creatures. 

3 comments:

  1. Oy! That totally beats out the monkeys of the farmhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons I will never live in Australia. It has some of the weirdest and most venomous creatures ever, and many seem to like hanging out in people's houses and gardens. Like the red back spider, funnel web spider, brown snakes. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to confess to being a little alarmed myself. My husbands response - Lucky you for seeing it ! I am less comfortable with them but knew they are a feature of living here. Watch this space and see what the future brings. MM

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)