Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Saturday 15 October 2011

Mehrauli Flower Market NO MORE

This, to me, was always my first port of call for any visiting friends. Mehrauli Flower Market- up the road from where I live, tucked away in a side street off the busy main road and thriving,buzzing,dazzling with the garlands, rose petals and marigolds.The colours were arresting, the fragrances breathtaking. Even the pigs feeding on the debris at the end of the road were a feature I really enjoyed. Here are some of the lovely stalls I captured at an earlier time.
Last week it was destroyed. Brought down and this is all that remains. I have no idea why or what for. I can only think of all those poor people looking for another place to sell their beautiful flowers especially in the run up to Diwali and suspect that some municipal corporation is being hasty in its action, unplanned and unthinking, where no alternatives have been put in place and people's livelihood and security are taken away in a day. A sad loss for all.




3 comments:

  1. so very sad! i had heard a rumor that it was happening, but didn't dare believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup afraid so and if there was an alternative plan which was for the better you might think it was not so bad but sadly I dont think that is the case....

    ReplyDelete
  3. They had planned to give them a warehouse near Okhla so that the government could better benefit and control, but it isn't ready yet! Shame.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)