Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 November 2010

Meeting interesting people

It happened in Thailand. We met over lunch on a floating village.They were a couple on the same tour as us.I was so taken by what they were telling me that I even forgot to ask their names and at the end of the day they left and I lost them. However what I had heard and the way they talked to me kept me so engaged.So this post is for their spirit and their friendliness and the fact that they had taken every advantage of what life threw at them.
His parentage was mixed Greek and Jewish. That in itself is unusual. There are few Greek Jews and few Jews in Greece.He was born to a Greek father but a Jewish mother. His father was a stalwart of the Greek Communist party and he was assassinated when he was only two. His mother, fearing for her life fled to Cyprus where she met another man and married him. This second man raised him as if he was his son.He grew up feeling there was a piece of him missing and finally at the age of 30 he found out about his father and went to visit his family in Greece.  Bizzarly for a half Greek he had real wanderlust and spent many a year travelling all over the world exploring continents and people.

When he was back in Israel he met his love - a woman 20 years younger than he was - clearly it was a passionate and enduring love and they had three children together who they named Imagination, Magic and In God's way - they wanted their children to be distinct and special and I am sure they are. I wanted to find out more about their love affair but I didnt get the chance.He was persuaded by her to go back to University to study for a degree in chemical engineering but when his idea was taken by a superior he became disillusioned and turned to the earth to find his solace and his livelihood. He travelled to the Philippines at one point to find a healer who operated on people with her hands. He was operated on and cured and lives to tell the tale. We talked and talked and my mind was alive with scenarios, intrigue, history and adventure. Better than any soap let me tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)