Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Thursday 5 August 2021

Lockdown Life

It was a cold and windy day in Brisbane - what I would call EKKA weather - sadly for all of us this wonderful agricultural show  has been cancelled because of the Covid outbreak in some of the local schools. So we are in Lockdown once more, this time fully vaccinated. I fancied some comfort food and it is times like these when I think of my beautiful and capable mother who was super fast, super efficient and lunch was already cooked by the time she bundled us in the car to take us to school. 

Ravioles Cypriot style was what I craved with a kota vrasti - a corn fed chicken boiled with veg. 

So I set about getting my Xmas present out - a food processor from the boys. I measured my ingredients and made a smooth dough - super proud. Set it to rest. My chicken was cooking away. I remembered my sister Niki had given me a ravioli making contraption when she came to Delhi to visit me. I fished it out, and started rolling out my dough. My mixture was halloumi and mint with egg, except I didn't have enough halloumi and I put in too many eggs - but I was not going to admit defeat and I carried on. Rolled out the dough nice and thin, put it in my ravioli maker but realised I couldn't get them out of the mould as I had not floured it. They went into the bin. Now floured (there was flour everywhere)  I filled my ravioli maker with second batch. They came out but distinctly misshapen. Never striving for perfection haha so carried on and finally got to the end of the dough and was ready to cook them. By that time, the egg had oozed out of the dough and stuck to the paper and so it was another massive operation lifting them off and putting them into the boiling broth. At that point and after pulling and pushing they really looked like off the wall slime balls with bumps in them and my faith in my abilities was beginning to wane. 

Unbelievably they held up in the cook and I served them with added halloumi and very succulent chicken and while the photo may not do them justice let me tell you my mother was present at our dinner table and giving me a smile.

Life in memories, dough and ravioles on this sunny but cold Brissie day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)