Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Saturday 15 May 2021

Autumn Skies

I confess to being in love with Queensland's unending and uninterrupted autumn skies. Nowhere in the world have I come across such an intense blue which just takes my breath away every time I venture out or sit on my deck. 

Venturing out is key and today's walk was to the fresh food markets in Kelvin Grove. A walk through the back streets revealed beauties like this ubiquitous commelina cyanea also known as scurvy weed. Early Europeans thought eating this would alleviate or avoid scurvy and you can see why. 


Here is some of that sky framed by that flowering Golden Penda Xanthostemon Crysanthus.
A magnificent flowering palm
A Hoop Pine. 

For those of you who have not seen "My Octopus Teacher" which was awarded Best Documentary at the recent Oscars do make time to view this. It's a stunningly filmed documentary narrated by author Craig Forster about an unusual relationship he developed with an octopus he found in a Kelp Forest in False Bay near Simons Town in the Cape Peninsula, South Africa. 

You can watch a trailer here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s0LTDhqe5A.

The relationship between Craig and the Octopus is pretty intense and I was surprised to say the least until I realised that I was missing Dennis and Doreen, who from the 22nd of April stopped visiting. I soon caught myself going down to the deck at times I thought they would come in for a feed and missing not seeing them. Finally after many days of absence Dennis turned up but without Doreen. I was overjoyed to see him and asked him where Doreen was and why she hadn't come. Then I knew that what Craig felt about that Octopus was totally and absolutely possible. Here he is in all his glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)