Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Monday 4 October 2021

The battle of the Blooms ... and Sydneysiders

It's a long weekend in Queensland and the end of school holidays for most. The clouds have departed replaced by unending sheets of blue, 32 C  and it was time for me to explore a favourite neighbourhood. Dougall is on holiday with his family so I ventured out alone. The conversation in my head was which one do I like more the yellows or the purples, maybe it is the yellows, but then the purples are so iconic. Let me show you both and you can choose. The Caribbean Trumpet Tree Tabebuia Aurea or the Jacaranda Tree. 





The evening brought the NRL final on TV - two Sydney teams were being hosted at Laing Park in Brisbane because Sydney is still in lockdown - 100 days and counting.  It was not until I came to Australia that I took much of an interest in Rugby. As far as I was concerned that is where my boys got fat lips and broken collar bones. These injuries still happen on the field and those men that go out there and play the game know the dangers but also the thrills, and last night's game was an edge- of -your -seat kind of game between two Sydney teams, the Penrith Panthers and the Rabbitohs from South Sydney. 

The story that I didn't know but now do, is where they got their name from. Apparently at a time when food was scarce, bunnies were plentiful and that is what they hunted and ate and they sold the rabbit meat by shouting rabbit -oh to attract buyers.  They sport red and green, colours of the Waratahs. 

The Penrith Panthers are from Western Sydney near the Blue Mountains. They just missed out on a win last year and were hungry to get one this year- they did to the delight of many fans in the stadium.

Sorry locals you probably know all of this, but these are nuggets or svingi  to me. 

The Menu was bloke-ish but decidedly international.

Gaucomole with Aussie Avos and Black Tortilla chips. A French Camembert and a Greek Goat's milk Fetta cheese, Olives, Boerewors chilli sausage from the South African shop, chips with coleslaw and then a childhood delight from the Italian Deli in New Farm Castagnole aka Σβιγγοι svingi  - so good you cant stop at one - they were right. 


 I didn't and consumed three all in one day to my shame. Delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)