Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Friday 24 November 2017

PMs and their Nicknames

Did I mentioned I enjoyed the Museum of Democracy in Canberra ? Well I loved it actually and here is one more reason why. Then I promise I will stop raving about it.

In a room in the Old Parliament Building there was a whole section devoted to the Prime Ministers of Australia.Lots of standard facts, where they were born, when they were PMs, which party they belong to, what they were most famous or infamous for and what happened to them...

The little note that really tickled me was one saying NICKNAMES. - The Prime Ministers of Australia, in true Aussie style do not take themselves that seriously and are happy to be known, and the people are comfortable calling them by their nicknames.

Here is s smattering of what I mean:

Gough Whitlam - The Young Brolga.

Sir William McMahon - Billy the Leak.

John Grayton- Jolly John.

Sir John McEwen - Black Jack.

Sir Robert Menzies - Pig Iron Bob, Ming.

Arthur Fadden - Artie.

Joseph Aloysius Lyons - Honest Joe.

William Morris Hughes - The Little Digger.

Sir George Houston Reid - Yes - No Reid.

Alfred Deakin- Affable Alfred

And the best of all for the First PM of Australia Sir Edmund Barton - Toby Tosspot.

You gotta give it to them, they have life the right side up even if they are down under. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)