Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Sunday 8 August 2010

Pilgrims' Progress

The last couple of days in Delhi I have been seeing orange clad men holding some bizarre things that almost look like lampshades perched across a pole on their shoulder. Sometimes they walk in groups and other times they are solitary. They walk with purpose and resolve but some are clearly struggling with the effort while others seem to manage much better.


So I was very curious to find out who they were and what they are up to and it appears that they are Pilgrims who go to the Ganges and pick up holy water near Rishikesh or Haridwar and then walk back the enormous distance to wherever they have come from on foot. I believe they are called Kanwaria and they come from Haryana or Rajastan.
The interesting thing about these pilgrims is that there are even degrees of pilgrims. Some need to carry it on their shoulders all the way and cannot put it down. Do these pilgrims eat,sleep ? How does that work. Local knowledge gratefully received. Do write and tell me.
Others can place the container on the floor while they rest or even hang it on a special stand.I witnessed that when I asked my driver to stop at one of the pilgrims rest places where I took a few pictures. 



When they reach their village or destination apparently they pour the water over a specail deity at a temple.
The distances are truly impressive at some 300 kilometres and I ask myself whether I would have the devotion and the physical stamina to undergo a challenge of this magnitude.

This is what makes India so different because of the depth of belief and commitment which sometimes baffles but is still very much part of life even today.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you had your driver stop so you could get photos! All of mine so far are simply orange blurs.

    We saw and remember the pilgrimage from last year, but I was in too much of a daze to even acknowledge or research what they were all about.

    It's neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More time to spend investigating it all now the boxes are unpacked ! Love m

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)