Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Monday 7 June 2010

Walking- are you kidding ?

Walking can add minutes to your life.

This enables you at 85 years old

To spend an additional 5 months in a nursing

Home at $7000 per month.

**********************************************************

My grandpa started walking

Five miles a day when he was 60..

Now he's 97 years old

And we don't have a clue where he is.

*****************************************

I like long walks,

Especially when they are taken

By people who annoy me.

***************************************

The only reason I would take up walking

Is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.

************************************

I have to walk early in the morning,

Before my brain figures out what I'm doing..

***************************************

I recently returned from a short trip to the UK where I walked until I simply could not walk any more every single day. The air was clean, the pavements were even and the public transport, where necessary, was reliable and on time. It was such a joy and if there is one thing I  miss more than anything else is the ability to walk here.I was lucky enough to live in a country where this was a real pleasure but even here where the pleasures are questionable it is to be chosen each time over any mechanised method of getting to where you need to go.I soldier out some afternoons in the area I live with a reluctant and hot dog and the sweat drips off me and the air closes in around me.

We visit parks, there are enough wonderful green spaces in Delhi but the climate is not kind. I look at the efforts that Delhi is making to get its pavements in order, mistakenly perhaps for the purpose of wooing the Commonwealth Games, without realising that actually unless you educate people to choose walking this may be a misplaced and costly priority. Sadly the majority of people who do walk in this country are the people who simply cannot afford to pay for any other form of transport- so not a choice but a necessity.



Soon I will be joining my hiking group back in Switzerland to embark on another adventure in the mountains and valleys of that beautiful country. Here they are, a testimony to walking where our oldest member is in her mid eighties and still going strong !


I will try and post from where I am back to you all so that you can share some of the beauty even at a distance.

2 comments:

  1. She's mid eighties? Wow! God bless her!

    I would like to add here that apart from being very lazy and the climate being too unkind, our residential areas are also very far from the business areas. Take for example, your own residence, and then visualize the distance from there to maybe Gurgaon where all the offices and malls are or perhaps Central Delhi. I doubt it's possible to walk that far even in pleasant November weather.

    But you do have a point. We need to learn how to walk more. We're simply lazy, especially Delhites!

    Nice pictures, and nice jokes at the start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi and thanks for your comments. Yes distances are great but it is a choice thing and that is what is missing. People choosing to walk up the stairs and not take lifts, choosing to walk to the the shop and choosing to walk at the weekends. I know it is hard but as people pile on the weight they might have no choice ! MM

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :)