Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Saturday 20 November 2021

Teetering on the edge of youth

Yesterday three things happened. I got a friend request from a dead friend. A friend who is alive sent a note to say WHO has declared 65 as still young, and I took my husband to a concert wearing my new Birkenstocks. 

 

You might wonder and rightly so, how all these things are connected- the request from the dead friend was jolting in a week of medical check ups. A painful reminder she was no longer there except in the hands of a bot. A gentle reminiscence of what a wonderful person she was. How dare FB do this? Do hackers have no respect ? 

The thought that I was still marginally on the young side - 64 when middle age, is now set to 66 was  somewhat heartening and dressing hastily to get to the venue I realised that my Birkenstocks were by far the most comfortable shoes to wear and best for my heel pain. So ballerinas and patents dismissed. 

And suddenly I was looking down at the floor and noticing all the footwear. Older - (read youngish women)  in sensible shoes that grip the leg in every direction, some youths in thongs and a vast majority of very young things teetering on the abyss of a heel. It made me feel distinctly old and for the moment the elation of the WHO configuration was lost in the fug of sensible and supportive. 

But the concert was all about a mum Katie Noonan and a teenage boy, her son Dexter, and it celebrated youth, hers and his, and how when she gave birth to him 16 years ago, not in a million years could she ever have imagined herself playing on a stage with him. She beamed with delight and had composed music that elevated his drumming to new levels. It was such a bonding, heartening show. They both gave it their all and are so talented it swept me away as I tapped my Birkenstock toes to the upbeat rhythm.

Perhaps 64 is the new young after all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)