Hello welcome to my Blog

Mezze is widely served in the Greek and Middle eastern world. An assortment of little dishes and tasters which accompany a nice ouzo or a glass of wine. So when you read mezze moments you will have tasty snippets of life as I live it, India for four years and now Brisbane Australia, all served up with some Greek fervour and passion.

Search This Blog

Thursday 25 March 2021

Greek Independence Day and Excitement in the garden

Today marks 200 years since the start of the Greek Revolution for Independence from Ottoman Rule in 1821. There are many commemorative events going on in Brisbane and all over the world. We owe so much to their efforts to fight for their liberty and their democracy. 

Its significance was marked for me differently but one which I wont easily forget. Our lemon tree is blossoming. A smell I often associate with the Greek World and which I am trying to recreate in our garden. I was there today and I noticed a buzz around the blossoms and when I went in to look closer I saw My Very Own Greek Blue Banded Bee - well alright it is Aussie, but the fact that it was in my garden today of all days is wonderful.  

For those of you who don't know about these bees, blue banded bees are among the most beautiful of Australian Native Bees. They have bands of blue along their body - a bit like the Greek Flag ! 

They are also said to be solitary bees. They build their nests in clay soil or mud brick. Maybe it has taken up residence in my bee hotel in the garden. They are very effective pollinators and perform what is known as Buzz pollination. So you can understand my excitement when I saw this bee - and here she is in action.You can see the sacks of pollen on her legs. Isn't that just the bees knees!


This is the video


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :)